Book Review: The Cure for Dreaming by Cat Winters

Rating: 7/10

Overview: 
The Cure for Dreaming is a quick, easy to read novel by Cat Winters. It follows the daily struggle of Olivia Mead, a young suffragist in 20th century Oregon who wants nothing more than to go away to college to sharpen her writing abilities. Her father, a decided anti-suffragist, has different ideas for Olivia's future. Afraid that Olivia will follow in her headstrong mother's footsteps and leave him behind, he calls on a visiting hypnotist to rip the rebellious streak from her brain. Instead, the mysterious showman gives Olivia the ability to see people as they truly are. Now Olivia's greatest concern becomes retaining her sanity as her once friends and neighbors start appearing as monsters straight from her beloved copy of Dracula.  

As a Reader: 
From a reader's perspective, it wasn't the most complex novel, but it kept me going at a steady speed-read. I found myself unable to put it down, and I'm still not sure why. I guess it would have to be the characters since they were so willing to go against the grain, especially in regard to the ridiculous restrictions people at the time put on women. Both Olivia and her hypnotist, Henry, had to put aside their differences and navigate a world of privileged white men who wanted Olivia to sit quietly with hands folded and ankles crossed (sorry if this is getting preachy, I'm not trying to comment on modern-day society, this is purely for the pre-women's suffrage setting in the book). Henry's character was definitely my favorite, first because he was adorable and second because his character seemed to have the most layers/dynamism. He starts out appearing as a devil-like figure on stage where he hypnotizes Olivia the first time. The few times they meet after that leave the reader wondering if he's a sleazy showman working for a quick buck, or a genuine person with a good heart (not to spoil it, but I think it's pretty obvious he ends up being the latter). 

As a Writer: 
From a writer’s perspective, the target age/audience felt weird. I loved the characters, the simple plot, and the great messages it gave surrounding women's rights. I read most of the book with the understanding that it was directed at a younger audience, maybe middle school age. That being said, there were a few references that made me say hold up a second, who's supposed to be reading this again? There wasn't anything too gratuitous, but let's just say a few gentlemen tried to press their advances on Olivia and continued to do so even after she gave them a firm NO. There was also a pretty steamy scene between Olivia and Henry later on, but again, nothing I would consider graphic. Unless you're in middle school or younger, in which case I WILL get a bit preachy and say I would NEVER recommend this book to a friend or relative in middle school. In my opinion, they just don't need to be reading stories about rape attempts or steaminess of any kind. As a non-middle school reader myself, the book was fine. I wasn't bothered by any of the stuff in there. But it did make me think hard about my own writing and what I want my intended audience to be. If I'm targeting a younger audience, I have to keep that in mind and really look hard at some of the darker or potentially scandalous things I hint at in the story.

So what do you all think? Do you struggle with writing for a younger audience? Do you agree with my review, why or why not? Let me know in the comments!

Comments