RWT: Keep Your Character's Heights Straight With this Awesome Tool


I found it.

The tool to end all tools.

One tool to rule them all-

Okay it's not Lord of the Rings level awesome, but it's pretty awesome. It definitely made my writing life a WHOLE lot easier.

I don't know if anyone else has this problem, but I have a really hard time remembering how tall my characters are and picturing what that height would look like in my head.

Even if you can remember that Johnny is 5'3 and Balthazar the Terrible is 6'2, how are you supposed to actually PICTURE what that looks like?

The only way I can do it is if I know I have a friend who's about 6'2, but then you have to start remembering all your friends heights, and then you forget your character's heights because there isn't enough room in your head to remember so many heights, and then you have a midlife crisis and spontaneously combust.

Well I am here to tell you there is an EASIER way.

It's called https://www.mrinitialman.com/OddsEnds/Sizes/compsizes.xhtml

This is a FREE tool I found online that helps you compare the heights of up to six people at once! And it's super easy to use. You just pick how many people you want to compare and type in their heights. You can even choose their gender and give them names.

That's it.

That's literally it.

You put in your info and this handy dandy tool spits out a colorful comparison of your character's heights that looks like the image at the top of the page. You can even save it to go back and look later.

Now when I'm writing, I reference my saved height comparisons to add in little details that I wouldn't have been able to figure out otherwise. For example, when one of my shorter characters hugged a taller one, I wanted to know if her head would fit under his chin. The almighty height comparison tool was able to answer this for me by showing what their two heights would look like standing side by side!

So check out the link if heights are something you have a hard time with. Like I said, it's free, so it won't cost you anything more than a couple minutes to type in your info. Let me know how it goes in the comments!

Comments